about the art of Johan Strumane
The starting point for all of his drawings and paintings are selected film stills. Stills are essential to Strumaneâ€™s work. â€œFilming and choosing images helps me to select the right environment. Certain images inspire me. â€ Herein lays the essence of Strumaneâ€™s work: to select out of the daily, endless input of images that unique image which captures the reality of oneâ€™s surroundings. Through selection and manipulation, the film loses its pictorial and visual characteristics. The atmosphere takes center stage.
Johan Strumane lives en works in Ghent.
- 2015 - Mol, cultuurcentrum â€™t Getouw, exhibition â€˜STILLSâ€™
- 2010 - Ghent, Gallery Link, exhibition, with Serge Renson (B), RÃ©gis Rizzo (FR)
- 2008 - Ghent, exhibition, Art fair LineArt
- 2008 - Ghent, Gallery Link, exhibition, â€˜AS STILL AS A PICTUREâ€™, with Hans Bruyneel (B), RÃ©gis Rizzo (FR), Paul Pattyn (B)
- 2007 - Ghent, CJK, exhibition â€˜Jacques t Kindt nodigt uitâ€™
- 2006 - Ronse, 1st Prize 38th Grand Prize Drawing City of Ronse
- 2006 - Ghent, Gallery Link, exhibition â€˜PAINTED!â€™ with Bart Slangen (B), Herman Van Houte (B)
- 2000 - Kortrijk, Limelight Filmhuis, Super 8 installation â€˜COLLECTED MEMORIESâ€™ with Adrienne Altenhaus (USA)
- 2000 - Kortrijk, Happy New Ears Festival, Super 8 installation â€˜ONE NIGHT STANDâ€™ with Adrienne Altenhaus (USA), Rene Derks (NL), Mark C.(NL)
- 2000-2008, studied at the DKO Academy of Fine Arts â€“ Ghent, with Chris Van Beveren & Jacques \'t Kindt
- 1999 - Antwerp, Super 8 installation â€˜TRIPLE EXXXITâ€™ with Adrienne Altenhaus (USA), Rene Derks (NL), Mark C. (NL)