about the art of Johan Strumane
The starting point for all of his drawings and paintings are selected film stills. Stills are essential to Strumane’s work. “Filming and choosing images helps me to select the right environment. Certain images inspire me. ” Herein lays the essence of Strumane’s work: to select out of the daily, endless input of images that unique image which captures the reality of one’s surroundings. Through selection and manipulation, the film loses its pictorial and visual characteristics. The atmosphere takes center stage.
“I want to capture the surroundings with my camera and absorb them in me to be used/released later in a drawing or painting. It keeps fascinating me.” Johan Strumane lives en works in Ghent.
- 2015 - Mol, cultuurcentrum ’t Getouw, exhibition ‘STILLS’
- 2010 - Ghent, Gallery Link, exhibition, with Serge Renson (B), Régis Rizzo (FR)
- 2008 - Ghent, exhibition, Art fair LineArt
- 2008 - Ghent, Gallery Link, exhibition, ‘AS STILL AS A PICTURE’, with Hans Bruyneel (B), Régis Rizzo (FR), Paul Pattyn (B)
- 2007 - Ghent, CJK, exhibition ‘Jacques \\\\\\\'t Kindt nodigt uit’
- 2006 - Ronse, 1st Prize 38th Grand Prize Drawing City of Ronse
- 2006 - Ghent, Gallery Link, exhibition ‘PAINTED!’ with Bart Slangen (B), Herman Van Houte (B)
- 2000 - Kortrijk, Limelight Filmhuis, Super 8 installation ‘COLLECTED MEMORIES’ with Adrienne Altenhaus (USA)
- 2000 - Kortrijk, Happy New Ears Festival, Super 8 installation ‘ONE NIGHT STAND’ with Adrienne Altenhaus (USA), Rene Derks (NL), Mark C.(NL)
- 2000-2008, studied at the DKO Academy of Fine Arts – Ghent, with Chris Van Beveren & Jacques \\\\\\\'t Kindt
- 1999 - Antwerp, Super 8 installation ‘TRIPLE EXXXIT’ with Adrienne Altenhaus (USA), Rene Derks (NL), Mark C. (NL)